BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Day 17: Bought the Patch - Wish me Luck

I'm going to begin my 4th attempt to quit smoking.

My first attempt was on Feb 22, 2009. I chose that date because it was my mother's birthday and she died of cancer. On her deathbed, in 1990, she asked me to quit smoking and I told her I would. I just never told her when.

I did very well my first three attempts. You may not think so since I'm beginning my 4th, but I have been a smoker for 36 years. Since I was 12. Yep... if you did the math that makes me 48 LOL.

I've never quit smoking before. I've never even made a serious attempt. I've quit a day here and a day there through the years, but on Feb 22, 2009 that was my very first REAL and honest attempt to quit smoking.

My doctor prescribed me Chantix. It worked. It worked wonderfully. Without any of the side effects (thank God). It is a 3-month program and it works wonders. For 2 months.

For 2 months I didn't even cheat! Not one puff! I was so proud of myself and I loved being a non-smoker. But for some reason, during the 3rd month I failed.

My doctor re-prescribed the prescription from the starter pack and again, I was successful for 2 months but failed the 3rd.

I had to really beg him to give me another chance at it. He did not want to prescribe it a 3rd time. He finally broke down but told me this was it! No more Chantix if it didn't work this time.

It did... beautifully, for 2 months.

I began smoking again shortly after I healed from my surgery. At least I accomplished what I wanted and that was to be a non-smoker for a bit before the surgery.

But I realized the other day that I HATE being a smoker. Truly and honestly! I LOVED being a non-smoker!

So I purchased the patch. I need the crutch, but at least I know now that I can be successful and quit. I've done it three times now and when you smoke for 36 years without ever stopping... 2 months without one puff is an accomplishment.

I'm going to begin tomorrow morning.

Without the Chantix this is going to take will power as well as the patch, but I really really really want cigarettes out of my life!

I can't stand smoking! I don't like the taste, the smell, how it makes me feel! I'm ready.

Wish me Luck!

Nite World.

0 comments: